Dyslexia is a SPECIFIC LEARNING DISABILITY that is neurobiological in origin. It is characterized by difficulties with accurate and/or fluent word recognition and by poor spelling and decoding abilities. These difficulties typically result from a deficit in the phonological component of language that is often unexpected in relation to other cognitive abilities and the provision of effective classroom instruction. Secondary consequences may include problems in reading comprehension and reduced reading experience that can impede growth of vocabulary and back-ground knowledge.. Lyon, Shaywitz, 2003, p.2
Dyslexia does not reflect lack of motivation or intelligence. Some of the most creative and famous people in all walks of life credit their success to the perspective they gained from minds that see the world through a different lens. But just as left-handed people have to adapt to a right-handed world, people with dyslexia need to develop strategies to navigate a world defined around a more normative range of skills.
Dyslexia is NOT a Medical Disorder
• Even though neurologists, geneticists, psychiatrists, neuro-psychologists, and other investigators trained in medical science have greatly enhanced our understanding of the nature of reading, writing, and language difficulty.
• Dyslexia remains a condition that requires EDUCATIONAL intervention and treatment not medical treatment.
Famous People with Dyslexia Include:
- Bella Thorne, Disney actress, “Shake It Up.”
- Whoopi Goldberg, Actress, Comedienne, Talk Show Host, “The View”
- Tim Tebow, Football Player, New England Patriots
- Beatrice of York, member of the British Royal Family
- Orlando Bloom, Actor “Pirates of the Caribbean” & “The Hobbit”
- John Chambers, CEO of Cisco
- Jeremy Bonderman, Baseball Player, Detroit Tigers
- Anderson Cooper, News Anchor CNN
- Patrick Dempsey, race car driver, actor “Grey’s Anatomy”
- Steve Jobs, Co-founder of Apple Inc.
- Paul Frappier, Bad News Brown, Rapper, Singer, Harmonica Player
- Greg Louganis, Gold Metal Olympic Diver
- Tom Cruise, Actor
- Dannel Malloy, Governor of Connecticut
- Neil Smith, Superbowl Winning Football Player, and Co-owner of Kansas City Command, an Arena Football Team